my big sister turned 23 today! i miss her dearly, and because she’s very busy being an almost doctor and writer and all around bad ass, i’d like to share some lessons she’s taught me with you. more specifically, lessons that have been applicable to the last week of my life – what a trip, honestly. here we go!
- things fall apart, but you do not. bend, fracture, but do not fall apart.
- a good thing is not always the good thing for you.
- misconstrued relationships hurt more than you think they will, just because you’ve thought about them in a way that they are actually not. it sucks, but issokay.
- loving someone sometimes is not enough.
- if you get heartbroken, there’s an ice cream and sweaty dance fix for that.
- the people who you choose to share your truth with aren’t people you choose lightly. more often than not, they are good. be good to them, too.
- if you consider yourself difficult to love, remember all the things it is easy for you to do, like love people.
- stick with yourself. whether it’s through med school or through a cross continental move, stick with yourself through it. a constant is refreshing.
i would go for twenty three lessons, but i’m pretty beat. my brain, she’s back to her scheduled programming of throwing me under the bus. it sucks a lot.
happy birthday, sharon.
i love you!
love and light,